Calling all spring graduates! The semester is well underway and before you know it will be time for your Penn State grad photos. I’ve compiled a list of tips to help prepare for your grad photos.
- Book your session early especially if you want a weekend or have specific ideas for photos. The popular spots on campus like Old Main are crowded at the end of the semester. If you want to order graduation announcements consider print times and how soon your photographer will have the photos delivered to you. I typically have most grad sessions delivered 2 weeks after the session date. I always recommend an evening session time. The light is fantastic and the heat of the day has subsided. A sunrise session offers softer light as well but its much harder to schedule hair and makeup at 7 am. It truly is never too early to book with me. It gives you and I time to brainstorm and plan together where you want the shoot to be and what things you and I will do to make it a success.
- Plan outfits ahead of time! I recommend 3 different outfits: trendy, professional, and casual. Solid colors and more timeless clothing items always look better on camera. Shy away from bright neon colors, bold patterns, and funky cut outs. Hang your cap and gown up weeks prior to let the wrinkles start to release. It’s always a good idea to take the extra step and steam the gown ahead of time. For the ladies, slightly fitted clothes rather than oversized tops will show off your beautiful figure. Most seniors forget a professional outfit. The outfit should match the professional field you are trying to enter. If you’re ordering new clothes consider shipping times and if items need tailored. Above all else, wear clothes that you are comfortable in and that represent you. You’ll feel so much more confident during your grad photos if you’re rocking a favorite top.
- Pay extra attention to self-care. If you need an extra excuse for a self care evening grad photos are it. Getting quality sleep, eating healthfully and drinking plenty of water leading up to your session date will keep your skin and eyes looking their best. Spend a little more time shaving to avoid nicks and rashes. A fresh haircut and manicure go a long way in making you appear polished even in the most casual attire.
- Bring someone along that you a super comfortable with! Photos are always better with a friend. Your best friend is already your built in hype person and support system so bring them along for an extra dose of confidence and fun.
- Relax and have fun! Your grad photos are meant to be an enjoyable experience. Throw on your favorite outfit and just go for it. Your photographer will be there to guide you through every step of the way. If you have questions ask your photographer. They have a wealth of information they would be happy to share.
Check out my favorite photos from Cara’s Penn State grad photos. I will always remember Cara’s session for the jokes and laughter. Ready to book your Penn State grad photos? Click here.